Biohazard Contamination Handling & Safety Tips
No matter the situation, Biohazard contamination is always a risk. Even minor biohazards pose health risks. Blood, bodily fluids, and waste can be a carrier of many diseases, viruses, and infections. That is why only certified restoration experts, like our team at Restoration 1 of New York, should handle any biohazard damage. Biohazard cleanup and safety are our specialties.
Your main focus during any biohazard or sewage contamination event should be the safety of yourself and your family or staff. Here are a few safety tips to help while you wait for a biohazard cleanup crew can arrive:
What to Do After a Biohazard Contamination – Biohazard Cleanup and Safety
- Firstly, if anyone has experienced an injury, call emergency services immediately.
- Subsequently, you should remain clear of the affected area.
- Treat all bodily fluids as if they are highly contaminated.
- In case of airborne pollutants or sewage damage, shut off the Heating and Cooling system.
What NOT to Do After a Biohazard Contamination
It is best to leave biohazard cleanup to the professionals. With that being said, here are a few tips on what NOT to do after contamination:
- Do not use a vacuum to clean water, waste, or bodily fluids.
- If the ceiling is wet or there are biohazard contaminants in the air, do not turn on ceiling fans and fixtures. This can cause them to spread elsewhere.
- Never leave any wet fabric in place. Hang any furs or leather goods quickly.
- Similarly, do not leave books, magazines, or colorful items on wet carpet or flooring.
Find a Certified Expert Near You
In short, if not done properly, biohazard cleanup can be very dangerous. Only professionals should take on this task. You will find 24-hour Biohazard Cleanup and Safety services at Restoration 1 of Long Island. We will send a team of IICRC-certified experts straight away! We use the most advanced restoration equipment to eliminate contamination. Contact our team and we will be at your doorstep within an hour of your call.